From my experience of taking protein powers, I have only tried vegan protein brands. I’m not saying that non-vegan brands are bad or not as effective, but it is important to watch out for some sneaky ingredients that can have less desirable effects:
- Whey protein concentrate & Casein- hard to digest, can cause bloating
- Maltodextrin- can increase glycemic load and increase fat storage
- Artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sorbitol, splenda, etc)- can cause headaches and bloating
Kerina’s Go to Protein Shake Recipe
- 5 ice cubes
- 1/2 of a banana
- 1 or 2 scoops of chocolate flavoured protein
- 1 cup of vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
Blend all ingredients and enjoy!
Kerina’s Top 3 Favourite Protein Powders:
- Purium MVP Sport- Chocolate or Vanilla Flavour --I absolutely LOVE this protein powder and I would have to say it’s my new favourite! This protein powder is 100% vegan AND only has clean ingredients. The only vegan protein powder I’ve tried that does not have any stevia! Another great bonus is the amazing taste. This is the least bitter and chalky protein I’ve tried. The chocolate flavour even has a slight coffee taste in my opinion, which I love. This shake really helps my muscles recover after my workouts! If you are interested in this brand, Krista is an expert and can give you some advice! Only downfall, it is from the USA and it takes about 10 days to receive it.
- Vega Protein Smoothie- Multiple Flavours -- I used to use this protein powder before I tried the purium brand, and I would have to say that this is definitely a runner up! This is still 100% plant-based and mostly has clean ingredients! The taste is a bit more bitter and not as smooth in my opinion, but everyone is different. The main reason purium is better in my opinion, is that it does not have any artificial sweeteners, and Vega uses stevia leaf extract. Not the worst artificial sweetener, but it’s still a sweetener! This can be purchased at supplement stores, as well as IGA in the health food isle.
- Iron Vegan- Chocolate, Vanilla, and Natural Flavoured -- Before finding Purium and Vega, I used to use the Iron Vegan brand. I like this brand because the ingredients are pretty clean! The only sweetener is stevia leaf extract. However, I find that out if all of the protein powders I like, this one is one of the chalkier tasting ones. This can be purchased at GMC, most supplement stores, or some health food stores carry it as well!