Sure it is!! Just because we want to be healthy doesn’t mean we can’t go out and have a good time. At the beginning of any new nutrition program, temptations become our first order of business. The first question I am often asked is “how do I avoid them?” Avoiding temptation isn’t how I want us to approach this “problem” and is it really a problem or is it more of a hurdle?
Often the first obstacle is our mindset. If you think about wanting it, of course you are going to want it. Who wouldn’t?! The second you tell me I can’t have something is the time I want it. So, if that’s the mentality we are going into this with, we have to decide; what do we want more? Yes, I want to go chill with my friends on a Friday night, but I also really want to stick to my goals and crush some weights on Saturday morning.
You are not alone my friend; and I am here to help! Leopold’s and Victoria’s Tavern, both in Regina, are two of my favorite places to meet up with friends. They are always filled with amazing people, good energy and tons of laughs.
Here are my tips for a successful night out:
Obstacle number one: Booze! This one I’ve got covered, I don’t drink! This is my choice, but those who know the past me will always offer and that’s cool. I order a drink that looks like a drink (soda water with a lime wedge). I make friends quickly with my waitress and make sure if someone is buying a round that mine stays vodka free. Since I hit my thirties, I have also come to terms that shots are never a good idea; so that’s another easy one for me. Extra bonus for me; I always have a safe ride home.
I know not everyone is like me and that’s cool too; so how do you stick to the plan and enjoy a drink or two? Drink your hard stuff, with soda water or water. If you must have pop, ask for it pressed (a little watered down never hurt anyone). A glass of red wine - the internet can’t be wrong, right?! I see ads everywhere that a glass of red wine is good for you. Stay clear of the creamy drinks; sorry my friends, no more paralyzers until those goals have been crushed. And enjoy a glass of water between each drink, if anything your head will thank you tomorrow.
Obstacle number two: I’m a foodie. I love food. I love visiting around food. And both of these places offer up an incredible menu!! And thankfully I have an inside scoop on how things are made.
So what do I order:
- Grilled chicken breast or steak (ask for the steak to not be finished with butter) with a house salad (no dressing or dressing on the side).
- Salad options with vinaigrette dressings or salsa instead of creamy and add your choice of grilled protein.
- Order a burger with no bun and mustard on the side.
- Blackened chicken wrap with no cheese and no dressing (live on the wild side and ask for extra avocado instead).
- Thai chicken wrap with sauce on the side.
- Chicken burrito – is the bomb (swap the cheese for some avocado and you nailed it).
- TACOS - my favourite food group!! (again ask for the cheese and sauces on the side).
- Ask for grilled options instead of breaded, or baked instead of fried (this might take a little longer).
- If it's a large portion/serving, only eat half and box the rest up for another meal.
- Order sandwiches without bread, butter or mayo.
- Switch out cheese for avocado.
- Ask for sauces on the side instead of applied (this way you can try your food without it first, you might like it plain, or add as needed).